Thursday, June 17, 2010

ARE WE RAISING A NATION OF SLOBS?

I watched Grease the other day, and West Side Story, last month.

I was struck by how the so-called punks, (bad boys) in the movie were so neatly dressed. The clothes they wore FIT, their hair was combed, and they took pride in their appearance.

Okay...they are movies. But, my husband grew up in those years, and was even considered a punk. His clothes fit, and he wore his hair in a DA style. (For those too young to know, that's Duck's Ass ~ check John T's hair in Grease).

Every generation has "bad boys." But, come on.....do they have to be such slobs?

Pants dragging the ground (the pant legs, not the crotch), shirts way too big, pants crotch hanging to the knees, (NO ONE wants to see your underwear, young man!) are all disgusting.

Once again, the fashion industry has messed up.

We had to hang out at a car dealership for an hour or so one afternoon, while our car was serviced. We were in the showroom and were approached by a young salesman. I'm sure he thought he was dressed nicely. In my eyes, he looked like a slob.

Sure, he had on dress slacks and a button down shirt. But, the slacks were a size too big, way too long (the front of the hem was bunched up on his shoes, the back so long, he walked on it occasionally). The shirt hung on him like a tent.

His hair was neat, though. And he was a very nice, personable young man. But my first impression made me think he didn't really care about his appearance, so why would he care about selling me a car?

My daughters will tell me, "that's the way it is, mom, get over it!"
That doesn't make it right, dears! Slobby looks are not pleasant to see. You girls all dress in clothes that fit! Even my little rebel daughter---your "rebel" clothes fit (she wears black combat boots with almost every outfit!).
The two that have husbands, their clothes fit; no slobs in either family. And to the one who isn't married, but has two sons, she doesn't let her kids wear clothes that are too big.

So see........that's NOT the way it is.

First impressions DO matter and first impressions are based on HOW YOU LOOK!

Stop buying the big slobby clothes. I'd love to see the bad boys dressing like the punks from the fifties and sixties again. At least they'd get more respect!

From Out of Pambo's Mind,
Pambo
PS I picked on the girls in a previous blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment