Friday, April 9, 2010

FREE: A Much Overused Word

I don't know about all of you, but I get so damn sick and tired of seeing and hearing the word FREE everywhere.

Is this culture so friggin gullible that we are taken in by that simple little four-letter word? Sad.

The dictionary defines FREE as: 1) not controlled, restricted, or regulated, 2)not affected by a particular thing, 3) costing nothing, 4) giving something readily... along with definitions about being a "free" people. But that's not my point in this blog.

Read those definitions again, please. Anywhere in them do you read, WITH PURCHASE OF...., or, ONLY PAY SHIPPING AND HANDLING?

I didn't either.

But we see the word FREE all over the place. It's wrong, wrong wrong. NONE of what they are touting as FREE is free.

It would only be truly free if I walked into the place and the clerk hands me a hamburger, toothbrush, or whatever and I turn around and walk out. THAT would be free.

When we had our business, some customers would ask me for free stuff. I'd tell them that nothing is free. However, if they bought this and that, I'd give them a couple of those "at no extra charge!"

I realize that the phrase "at no extra charge" has many more letters in it than "free." But, come on, people, who cares? Is this simple word all part of the dumbing down of America plan?

If it is, I think it's working, unfortunately. You can fight back.....

The next time you have a coupon, or ad, or see a sign in a store that tells you something is FREE (with purchase of......), tell the clerk the correct way to say it. Tell the manager that whatever it is -- IS NOT FREE. And while you appreciate not having to pay for the extra cheeseburger, the correct way to state it on the coupon would have been; NO EXTRA CHARGE!

I'm done here. If you get it, great! If you don't....read it all again.

We need to FIGHT BACK of this incorrect word usage....

STOP LETTING THEM DUMB US DOWN!

I'm going to email all the fast food places I can think of who are one of the biggest culprits of this horrible practice. Maybe they'll reconsider, maybe they won't, but I'll do what I can......
WILL YOU?

From Out of Pambo's Mind
Pambo

No comments:

Post a Comment