Friday, April 9, 2010

Sprinkled With Angel Dust?

I've been couped up in the house all day, my choice, but still.........

I was low on milk and a couple of other items, so I decided to walk over to Aldi's and get some. The sunshine lifted my spirits, not that I was down, but spring in the midwest is always exceptionally beautiful and you can't help but get happier. Even though the temp wasn't as warm as last week, I still didn't have to drag out a coat. I was real comfy in jeans, tee shirt and hoodie.

I love Aldi's. I always save money there and their "special purchase" section always has some really cool stuff. Anyway, I digress....

I had just entered the store behind an older man. Briefly, I admired the color of the whiteness of his hair. He went on ahead, I started looking at stuff. As I took my cart to go to the next section, the man came to me with a sad/perplexed/I-don't-want-to-be-here look on his face. He asked me for help. He said his wife sent him to get some "powdered flour, or powdered sugar, or...I don't know!" I showed him the flour and told him it always comes in a powder form. Sugar, on the other hand, comes granulated (I pointed to the bag), or powdered (I went and got a bag and handed it to him).

That didn't help. I took my phone from my waistband and said, "call her." I dialed the number, he talked to her and hung up. "I need powdered sugar and walnuts."

I walked a few feet, found the walnuts, picked up a bag and handed that to him, too. The relief on his face was priceless! He rewarded me with a happy "thank-you" and big hug. He said he'd been mowing all day and had just got in and sat down, when his wife told him she needed him to go to Aldi's and get those items. Then he rushed off to pay and get the hell out of there!

Made me feel good to be of help.

I round the corner and have to wait for another older gentleman (also with pretty white hair), to find whatever he was looking for in the cooler above the milk. After realizing he wasn't finding it, I stepped up and asked him if he needed help. He told me he was looking for just regular creme (for coffee), not the flavored stuff.

I spied a box behind the one with the flavored stuff in it (leave it to the blind lady!), reached in and grabbed a bottle. It was exactly what he wanted. I didn't get a hug that time, but got a nice smile and thanks.

Made me feel good again. I wondered if I had been sprinkled with Angel Dust when I stepped out of the house.

I say this because I'll never forget the time an Angel helped me. It was several years ago. Just before Christmas. I had the flu~with all the fun symptoms; fever, chills, cough, sore throat, hoarsness, etc. I felt like crap, but still had to work. (The down-side of owning your own business). After work that day, I had to go to Walmart for groceries (this was before I discovered the wonderful world of Aldi's).

The weather was cold and gray and miserable. When I came out, my fever was worse, I was chilled to the bone and it had started to snow. I wheeled my cart to the car and unloaded it.

I am not one to just leave my empty cart in a parking spot. I looked for the closest cart "holder" to take it to. It was miles and miles away. I just stood there, snow blowing all over me, wind chilling me even more, holding my cart and cried. Through my tears, I said to the universe, "I really don't want to walk all the way over there and all the way back to my car." But started to anyway. I no sooner than took that first step, when a man came up beside me, took the cart from my hands and told me he'd take it. And off he went. I didn't even get a chance to thank him. I cried all the way home. Grateful to be in the warm car, but mostly grateful for that Angel of a person.

I have never forgotten that experience. The despair I felt and the kindness of that stranger. Whenever I can, I try to be an Angel for others.

I got to be one twice today.

From Out Of My Mind
PamBo



1 comment:

  1. Karma! This is also why I always try to "let people in" while driving. One thing you taught me: you never know when it will be YOU that needs to be let in!
    Although, I do adimit, if they don't give me a "thank you" wave I cuss them out :)

    ReplyDelete