Wednesday, April 7, 2010

If It Could Only Be This Easy

Like many Americans, we fly our American Flag on our front porch. I love to watch it billowing in the wind, as if it's saying to us, "Here I am. Just try to mess with me...."

We've had that flag for almost two years, and I noticed the edge of it was tattered. My husband asked me to take it down and wash it.

After unhooking it and gently sliding it from the pole, (never letting it touch the ground), I knew I had to repair it before washing it, or the raggedy ends would shred even more. This may sound silly to some of you, but just before I stuck the needle in to make the first repairing stitch, I aplogized to the inanimate flag. It's just a piece of material after all, that happens to be patterned after the symbol of our Great Country.

I was taught, however, that that particular piece of patterned material should always be treated with dignity and respect. So I did. After the first needle stick, I realized I'd been holding my breath, so let out a big sigh and continued my task.

First I repaired a white stripe. Then, a red stripe. Then I had to re-attach a white stripe to a red one. None of the blue was damaged.

As I sewed, I was reminded of what each color represented. Red for hardiness and courage and the blood that so many soldiers have spilled. White for purity and innocence and the courage of so many soldiers willing to fight for you and me. Blue for vigiliance, perserverance and justice that so many soldiers believe with heart-felt conviction. The stars come from Heaven-the goal so many soldiers strive for, should it be their time in battle. The thirteen stripes have two meanings; one, for the original thirteen colonies. The second; for rays of light from the sun.

With each repair I made, I thought, "If it could only be this easy to fix America's problems. The war, the economy, the foolish and idiotic childish separation of the two parties arguing in Congress. The greed of those in office, etc."

When I got it done as best I could, I stood at the washing maching, waiting for the tub to fill. Holding this tri-colored piece of material in my hands, I was reminded of the story behind our National Anthem:

Francis Scott Keyes sat with a newpaper reporter on a ship in a harbour watching a battle rage on. The British were firing on a fort where Old Glory flew high and proud. Word came to them that the British wanted that flag down! No matter what it took....get that flag down!
Through the bombs bursting in air, the rockets red glare, all through the day and night, the flag became damaged, tattered and shred. But it never came down.

Finally, the British gave up. When the battle was over, and the fort examined, the secret as to how that flag remained flying was revealed. People surrounded the base. If a bomb happened to hit them and killed them, others piled on top to keep that flag upright. I don't know how many gave their lives through that battle only to keep that flag flying, but many did.

What courage. What sacrifice.

With a lump in my throat, the washer ready to gently wash this great symbol, I put it in and closed the lid.

Now, clean, repaired and freshly pressed, the American Flag flys from our porch once again.

As I write this, I shake my head at the arrogance, stupidity, selfishness and greed of our so-called leaders. Why can't it be that simple - to just take a needle and thread to the tattered mess America has become? Why can't they see that we Americans would still pile ourselves around the flagpole to keep it standing and flying high and proud ~ WITHOUT being lied to and manipulated by them?

Really, it wouldn't be that difficult.

From Out of My Mind,
PamBo









1 comment: